Becoming a Heath and Reach Parish Councillor
Becoming a Councillor
Between elections further vacancies arising can also be filled by co-option, providing each vacancy is duly notified and nominations invited.
Broadly speaking, anyone who has a desire and sufficient spare time to serve the community can become a councillor. Their appointment is subject to the qualifying criteria being met and the individual is willing to adhere to the statutory code of conduct.
A candidate must be:
- A British subject or a citizen of the Commonwealth or the European Union
- At least 18 years of age
- A local government elector for the area of the authority, or for during the preceding 12 months, lived in the parish or within 3 miles of the parish, have owned or occupied land in the parish, or worked in the parish.
A candidate cannot:
- Hold paid office or employment within the council
- Be subject to a bankruptcy restriction order or interim order
- Have been within the last five years convicted of any offence and sentenced to imprisonment for more than three months
Relevant skills are:
- Good listening skills
- Good decision-making skills
- Good local knowledge
More information about becoming a Parish Councillor and the scope of duties and responsibilities of office can be found in “Then Good Councillors Guide” available for download at www.nalc.gov.uk
Applying to fill a casual vacancy
To qualify for co-option onto a Parish Council, a candidate must be a British Subject, or a citizen of the Republic of Ireland, or a relevant citizen of the European Union, and have reached eighteen years of age AND
- be registered as a local government elector for the Parish of Heath and Reach or
- have during the whole of the past twelve months occupied, as owner or tenant, land or other premises in the Parish of Heath and Reach, or
- have had his or her principal or only place of work during the past twelve months in the Parish of Heath and Reach or
- have during the past twelve months resided in the Parish of Heath and Reach or within 4.8 kilometres of it.
ANYONE WISHING TO BE CONSIDERED FOR CO-OPTION ONTO THE COUNCIL PLEASE APPLY IN WRITING, WITH A BRIEF CV, TO:-
The Clerk to Heath and Reach Parish Council
7 Heath Green
Heath and Reach